The orchid city of Ararat offers a variety of facilities and attractions for visitors.
Things to see and do in Ararat:-
- Gum San Chinese Heritage Centre tells the story of life during the beginnings of Ararat and of the Chinese immigrants who discovered gold here.
- Visit J-Ward, the old gaol and former institution for the criminally insane. Do a tour during the day or one of their Lantern Ghost Tours at night, visit www.lanternghosttours.com for more information on tours.
- Visit Aradale one of Victoria’s largest Asylums. Aradale operated as a Lunatic Asylum from 1867 and has been closed since 1993.
- Aradale offers guided tours during the day or Ghost tours at night, visit www.aradaleghosttours.com.au. for more information on tours.
- Other attractions include Ararat Regional Art Gallery, the Railway Heritage Museum, and Langi Morgala Museum
- Take a stroll in Alexandra Park and Gardens and relax by the Lake.
- One Tree Hill Lookout has panoramic views over the region.
- Walk along the vine lined main street, browse the shops and sample the many dining options
Ararat is a perfect base for a scenic drive through the magnificent countryside and ranges of the regional natural attractions:-
- The Grampians National Park
- Mt Langi Ghiran, Mt Cole, Mt Buangor
- Pyrenees Ranges
- Bush walking
- Horse riding
- Mountain bike riding
- Rock climbing
- Hang gliding
Ararat is central to the many vineyards of the area. Follow the Great Grape Touring Route winding through this spectacular region and discover the abundant wineries and cellar doors.